Concealed Pistol Licenses & Michigan Pistol Free Zones
Michigan Pistol Free Zones should be known and you should always be aware of them when carrying your concealed weapon. Having a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) allows for an individual to carry a conceal weapon on his or her person while in public; however, there are certain areas that an individual, even with his or her license, are not allowed to carry (i.e. Michigan Pistol Free Zones).
Michigan Pistol Free Zones limit those areas pursuant to MCL 28.4250. Those that hold a CPL are not allowed to carry a pistol in the following areas or establishments:
- School property, except a parent or legal guardian who is picking up or dropping off a child and the pistol is kept in the parent?s or legal guardian?s car.
- Public or private child care center or day care center, child caring instution or child placing agency.
- Establishments serving liquor, yet the primary source of income stems from the sale of liquor; however, owners and employees are exempt.
- Dormitories or classrooms within a college or university; however, Michigan State University, University of Michigan, and Wayne State University all have special status in the Michigan Constitution and elect their Board of Regents. This means that the state preemption law does not apply to those universities, which allows for each of them to pass their ordinances to ban the carrying of firearms anywhere on their respective campuses.
- An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.
- Sports arena or stadium.
- Churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, or other places of worship, unless authorized by the presiding official.
These Michigan Pistol Free Zones do not apply to all individuals, and thus some individuals are ?Exempt From? Michigan Pistol Free Zones and allowed to carry a pistol in those areas. See MCL 28.4250. A box will be checked on the individual?s CPL license.
For those who violate these limitations of their CPL and Michigan Pistol Free Zones will be subject to the following, per MCL 28.4250, sanctions:
- First Offense ? State civil infraction and have the CPL suspended for 6-months.
- Second Offense ? A misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000.00, and have their CPL revoked.
- Third Offense ? A 4-year felony and a fine of not more than $5,000.00 or both, and the CPL will be revoked.
DO NOT RELY ON THESE LEGAL OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS WHEN REPRESENTING YOURSELF IN COURT. THESE ARTICLES ARE NOT MEANT TO COMPENSATE OR EFFECUATE LEGAL REPRESENTATION. YOU SHOULD AND MUST CONTACT AN ATTORNEY AND DISCUSS WITH HIM OR HER THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY AND ALL IDEAS, STATEMENTS, OPINIONS, EXPRESSIONS OR OTHERWISE STATED ON THIS SITE. LAWYER-UP WITH JOSH JONES.