MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT) – MCL 257.225 LICENSE PLATE – Act 300 of 1949
Courtesy of www.legislature.mi.gov.?
MCL 257.225 License?Plate; attachment to vehicle; legibility; color; distinctive registration plates; name plate, insignia, or advertising device; limitation; historic military vehicle; violation as civil infraction.
MCL 257.225 License Plate:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection and subsection (6), a registration plate issued for a vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. A registration plate issued for a truck tractor or road tractor shall be attached to the front of the vehicle.
(2) A registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which the plate is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging. The plate shall be attached at a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measured from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position that is clearly visible. The plate shall be maintained free from foreign materials that obscure or partially obscure the registration information and in a clearly legible condition.
(3) A registration plate or an expiration tab on the registration plate shall be of a different color designated by the secretary of state with a marked contrast between the color of the registration plate and the numerals or letters on the plate. The secretary of state may provide a distinctive registration plate as a replacement for a standard plate. To honor a special or historical event, the secretary of state may provide a commemorative plate as a replacement for a standard plate.
(4) A person shall not attach a name plate, insignia, or advertising device to a registration plate in a manner that obscures or partially obscures the registration information.
(5) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle that has a name plate, insignia, or advertising device attached to a registration plate in a manner that obscures or partially obscures the registration information.
(6) A registration plate issued for a historic military vehicle that is authorized to be operated on the roads of this state is not required to be attached to the rear or the front of the historic military vehicle unless the historic military vehicle was originally manufactured with lighting and mounting provisions for a registration plate. However, if the registration plate is not attached to the exterior of the historic military vehicle, it shall be present in the historic military vehicle to which it refers and shall be made available upon demand of a police officer. As used in this subsection, “historic military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
(7) A person who violates this section (MCL 257.225 License Plate) is responsible for a civil infraction.
MCL 257.225 License Plate History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949;?Am. 1978, Act 510, Eff. Aug. 1, 1979;?Am. 1978, Act 548, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1978; ?Am. 1980, Act 46, Imd. Eff. Mar. 19, 1980;?Am. 1980, Act 476, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981;?Am. 1984, Act 132, Imd. Eff. June 1, 1984;? Am. 1995, Act 129, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1995;?Am. 2014, Act 26, Imd. Eff. Mar. 4, 2014.