Michigan Criminal Lawyer, Josh Jones

Outstanding Warrants In Michigan – What To Do

What To Do With An Outstanding Warrant In Michigan

In Michigan, and other states, when an individual has an outstanding warrant for a misdemeanor or felony, he or she will need to satisfy or turn themselves in on the outstanding warrant. Outstanding warrants can involve both Michigan misdemeanors and felonies, depending upon the circumstances and charges filed or issued by the local or county prosecutor. It should be known that if a felony warrant is being issued, it will not be by a local or municipal prosecutor, but rather a State or County prosecutor will be issuing felony warrants. City, local or municipal prosecutors will generally sign off on misdemeanor warrants; however, state prosecutors can also issue misdemeanor warrants. Misdemeanors are handled and within the power of both municipal and state prosecutors, unlike felony warrants.

Whenever an individual has an outstanding warrant for their arrest, albeit it be a misdemeanor or a felony, the individual should always first consult with a criminal attorney. The reason for this is due to the sensitivity of handling the outstanding warrant. Here in Michigan, if the criminal charges involve an open and outstanding warrant, the individual will generally be required to turn him- or herself into the court in order to close the open and outstanding warrant. This generally means the individual will have to do what is called a “walk-in” arraignment, which is where the individual will be arraigned on the outstanding warrant. During the arraignment the main purposes of the hearing will consist setting bond, reading of the charges, and setting the matter for the next appropriate hearing. Depending on whether the charges are for felonies or misdemeanors, the court in which you will be arraigned on an outstanding warrant will generally be the district court.

Outstanding warrants can consist of new charges, probation violations, or other criminal issues and matters. Because of the various situations and circumstances of your outstanding warrant, you should always consider and contact a criminal attorney. He or she will be able to advise you specifically to the nature of your criminal matter and inform you of what you need to specifically do in order to close the outstanding warrant. The information above applies generally to outstanding warrants; however, each case and situation is different, so please do not rely on this information or any information on any website if attempting, wanting, or trying to represent yourself in a court of law. Hire proper and competent counsel.